Saturday, August 2, 2008

Terrible Two's are tough

Of course I'm biased, but Andrei is a wonderful person. He is so helpful and even courteous and great at sharing (at an age when kids are not suppose to have learned that yet). But he is also getting into the full swing of the Terrible Twos. And I find them pretty difficult to handle sometimes. I think mainly because he is such a nice person that when he goes off and acts bad (or really just obstinate or I guess mischievous), it seems much worse than what it really is.

The other major issue currently going on is the miscommunication that happens due to his "growing pains" of language skills. He knows hundreds of words at this point, but the vast majority are very difficult to understand. Stef seems to understand a lot more than I do. She's probably at the 90-95% level while I'm only at the 70% level which is pretty sad on my part since I'm with him all day long.

Anyway, so what happens is we will not understand what he's trying to say to us and that gets him frustrated which can lead to a pretty big tantrum. The worst part being that sometimes we don't even realize that he's trying to communicate something (rather than just get out of doing something he'd rather not do: nap time, diaper change, etc.). And those are some pretty awful feelings as a parent when you realize that the kid was just trying to ask you a question or desire something and you took it as a "defiant move".

I know it's just going to take some time for Andrei's pronunciation to improve, but it is pretty hard to wait since I also know that once we're able to understand him better a lot of these situations are going to dematerialize.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

BTDT - Wait until you get to 3!! Cooper is about to turn 3, and WOW, it's unreal - this kid is like a psycho! Andrei looks so cute and it sounds like he is doing so well.

Anonymous said...

sign language?

Jenni said...

I remember those "language growing pains" days. It's very frustrating for everyone involved. Luckily, it does pass.