Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sandbox construction

Andrei is helping me build a sandbox in the backyard. Stef and I had talked about it for the past couple of weeks since he seems to like the ones at the park. Then last week while I was putting away laundry I heard some silence for a few minutes (almost always a bad sign) and sure enough Andrei was playing in the cat box.

We took this as his endorsement of the outside sandbox idea.

So yesterday we bought the wood and during his nap I made the cuts. Today he and I will work on the area where the sandbox will go. I want to till the soil and lay down some weed block. We'll take care of that this afternoon since we have our Gymboree class this morning.

There are tons of free plans for sandboxes on the web from super simple to pretty elaborate. One of the key things most say is to just use regular wood and not treated (sometimes called "pressure treated") wood. The chemicals used leaches out of the wood and most often it is based on arsenic. Great for killing rot and insects, but equally great at killing kids. Actually it's in very low amounts and I don't believe any child could die from it, but avoiding it makes sense.

1 comment:

Ryan and Katie said...

One other piece of unsolicited advice: Construct some sort of cover for your sandbox or your cat will leave little "surprises" for Andrei. (Speaking from experience)